Welcome to MySmall.Horse
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
  • advertisement_alt

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headcanons on the nature of magic and Changelings

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Wasn't sure where to put this, but after having a discussion on the season finale with a couple of friends, I decided to put this in writing. It is somewhat of a short dissertation on the nature of Magic in the MLP universe as well as how creatures that feed upon emotions, such as Changelings, interact with it.

---

Magic is an energy force tied into the core of a creature's emotions. As such, using it will wear an individual down as much as being emotionally strained would. Stress and exertion can lead to exhaustion both physical and mentally, and it is also possible to be emotionally exhausted as well. The act of loving another is an emotional act, Changelings can feed off of this love if it is directed at them and use it to power their own magic. They themselves have the same emotional cores as others, but in their original state there was an inefficiency, leading to hunger for a particular emotion. Quite literally they are 'love starved'.

If the changelings need to feed on love directed at them and by doing so by take the place of a loved one, then they would only have a limited window to feed on the love without needing to take more drastic measures. In time, most targets would figure out that their loved one was acting strangely, which could lead to either suspicions or a change of feeling towards the assumed identity.

By feeding directly they could take a great deal more magic and love from the target, but in doing so would exhaust the target more quickly, perhaps to the point of trauma and would ruin it as a feeding source. Given the severity of their hunger for love, it is quite also possible that the changelings often resorted to this method, much like Thorax almost fed directly from Flurry Heart.

Posted

An interesting question but here is what i believe.

All Living Creatures have "Magic" within their bodies, Pegasi has the ability to control the weather, Earth ponies tend to the land, Magic is controlled easily by unicorns who have a conduit, Etc.

Each race has their own inner magic (Which is my excuse for my Tabletop games and why other races can use magic so long as they have a Conduit, Like Gems or crystals for example.) For Changelings they are like emotional vampires that feed off the Love within a pony, Which is combined with Magic, Feeding off a pony isn't noticed much specially if subtle, For example just simple interactions and spending time with a changeling you might feel more tired or exhausted after a long day...Or during sexual actions (If possible) they might feel extra exhausted, This isn't really noticed much...If a changeling feeds too much they might risk being revealed and noticed which is why subtly is important to changelings, 

Thorax is a Special Case though so i won't get into that currently, But far as i'm concerned there are two types of changelings, The changelings we know and the Reformed Changelings, although i do prefer my changelings have to feed on love or find a alternative method.

Posted

I like the "all races use magic" line of thinking. So like, if a unicorn tried to use magic to make a cloud start raining, it would just ignore them. And if a pegasus put seeds in the ground and watered them, nothing would happen at all. 

It would be interesting to know if any potted plants can be seen in non earth pony residences in the show. I havnt found any yet but there might be some.